How to make Kombucha
Last Updated: 2019-10-24 by Nick Busey
- 2 Gallons Water
- 1 Large Iced Tea Bag
- 450 Grams Sugar
- 4 Cups Starter Fluid
- Scoby that covers at lesat 25% of the surface of the container
- Clean 3 Gallon Plastic Container
- Clean White Rag to use as Air Lock
- Black O-Ring or Rubber Band to attach White Rag
We use 3 gallon Fermonsters, so multiply the above to reach your desired volume.
If filling one fermonster, multiply above by 1.5 If filling two fermonsters, that is 6 gallons, so multiply above by 3. Our 7 gallon fermonsters * 3.5 If filling three, multiply by 4.5.
- Bring 1/2 of the total volume to a near boil
- Stop heat, add sugar, stir to dissolve.
- Add tea bags, steep at least 20 minutes
- Remove bag carefully, so it doesn't tear.
- If you do tear the bag, strain it through some cheese cloth.
- Cover with lid and wait for it to cool to luke warm temperature.
- Add scoby.
- Pour starter fluid on top of the scoby, slowly and gently, to form a 'seal' of the starter fluid on top of the container.
- Let ferment one week.
- Taste daily until desired acidity is reached.
Finished booch will have a pH between 3.5 and 4.0 with just a touch of sweetness left.