Quick Sour Pickles
This is one of the easiest ferments you can make at home.
We use a 3.5% salt brine.
- 20 lbs cucumbers
- 200 g Salt
- 2 gallons water
- 180 g garlic
- 3.5 oz pickling spice
- Grape leaves
- Clean 5 Gallon Bucket
- Fermentation Weight and Cover
- Wash then cut the bloom ends off of the cucumbers. Add to bucket.
- The blossom end contains an enzyme that will soften the pickles, trimming 1/16″ is all that is needed to get rid of it.
- Add grape leaves to bucket. The tannins keep the pickles crunchy as they ferment.
- Crush and slice garlic to release allicin. Add to bucket.
- Add pickling spice to bucket.
- Place lid on bucket firmly. Shake bucket vigorously to coat the spices around evenly.
- Add 200 g salt to 2 gallons of water. Stir to dissolve.
- Remove lid. Add brine.
- Place fermentation cover on top.
- Place fermentation weight or spacer on top of cover.
- Ensure no cucumbers are exposed to the air. The brine and spices can flow above the lid without issue.
- Place lid on bucket firmly.
- Place in fridge.
- Wait 4 days.
- Taste daily until taste is right.
- Slice and serve!
3.5% salt brine