Last Updated: 2019-10-24 by Nick Busey
Object and Scope
Tank Passivation is performed regularly to ensure stainless steel tanks stay in good condition.
Every tank must be passivated every three months. Use a dry erase marker to write the date on each tank so we know when to schedule another passivation.
- Five Star Acid #5
- Cart Pump
- 2 x Short Cleaning Hoses
Hazards Identification and PPE / Safety Steps Required:
PPE: Eye protection, rubber boots, gloves
Hazardous Products: Acid
Hazards: Handling hazardous products, pressure.
Pressure can build when heating a cold tank! A vacuum can occur when cooling a hot tank!
You should always have a tri-clamp open to the tank to let the air equalize and let off any pressure that builds up with looping a hot sanitizer.
- Clean and rinse the tank
- Ensure racking arm is at an upward angle so it fills with acid.
- Spray in 15 gallons of hot water from a hose into the tank.
- Our hoses spray about 5 gallons per minute. So spray for 3 minutes.
- Add 15 ounces Five Star Acid #5.
- Attach hose from pump outlet to CIP inlet.
- Attach hose from dump port to pump inlet.
- Run the CIP loop for 30 minutes.
- Drain, but do not rinse the tank.
- Open the racking arm and let it drain.
- Rinse out hoses and pump with clean water.
- Let the tank air dry for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, the tank can be rinsed, sanitized, and used as normal.